Tuesday, June 17, 2008

UNI - June 17, 2008

We got to see Skype in all its glory today. We had a Skype conversation with the Ning creator Steve Hargadon. It was a double opportunity to talk face-to-face with this individual and what he has done for social networking by developing Ning, but also seeing Skype in action. This was awesome!!! I enjoyed it so much, I helped my daughter setup our home computer tonight to put it into action. This piece of technology will make the next 2 weeks more bearable for my family to be apart.

After looking at Ning, we focused on virtual worlds. More specifically, we dedicated the day to Second Life. It was great to work with my avatar without it looking like a scarecrow. Now I know my DSL through Frontier isn't all that great after all. I'm understanding better all the possibilities there are with Second Life. It is possible to have meetings and conferences for individuals to collaborate without leaving their homes and/or offices. I was impressed when I was able to find a group of individuals who are instructors in the Cisco Networking Academy. They have a group dedicated to sharing classroom ideas on Second Life. :-)

1 comment:

Dr. Z said...

Cisco instructors on SL? That is a wonderful opportunity for you. Glad to see that Skype worked for you and your daughter.

Z